Healthy Eating: “Everything in moderation, including moderation” – my mantra for life. Check here regularly for recipes I have found to be fun, fresh, and flavorful and information on eating healthy.
Chicken Salad with Apples & Cranberries
by Martha McKinnon
Servings: 4 (1 cup each) SmartPoints®: 3 Ingredients: 2-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast 3 stalks celery, chopped 1 cup chopped apple (about 1 large) 1/4 cup dried cranberries 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise 2 teaspoons lemon juice 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional) Salt and pepper to taste Instructions: Place the chicken, celery, apple and cranberries in a bowl and stir to combine and then set it aside. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Add this to the chicken mixture and stir to mix well. Stir in the parsley if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. *Martha McKinnon is a lifetime WW member committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life. Her blog, Simple-Nourished-Living.com, is a popular resource for easy healthy recipes, success stories and weight loss tips to help you eat great and lose weight. A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she’s not experimenting in the kitchen, you’ll find her helping beginners over the age of 50 discover the powerful benefits of yoga.
14 Foods That Fight Belly Fat – Research shows these eats can help slim your stomach
By David Zinczenko, Ted Spiker, Lesley Rotchford
Research shows that eating healthy protein, healthy fats, and healthy carbs can help slim your stomach. These 14 foods are among the best sources of protein, fiber, and all the other ingredients and nutrients that help fight fat. In fact, they’re so good for you that they’ll just about single-handedly exchange your fat for a toned, lean body and sexy abs. You can base entire meals and snacks around them, but you don’t have to. Just be sure to follow these simple rules. • Incorporate two or three of these foods into each of your meals and at least one of them into each snack. • Diversify your food at every meal to get a combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. • Sneak a little protein into each snack.
1. Almonds and other nuts (with skins intact) Superpowers: Builds muscle, reduces cravings Fights: Obesity, heart disease, muscle loss, wrinkles, cancer, high blood pressure
2. Beans and legumes Superpowers: Builds muscle, helps burn fat, regulates digestion Fights: Obesity, colon cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure
3. Spinach and other green vegetables Superpowers: Neutralizes free radicals, molecules that accelerate the aging process Fights: Cancer, heart disease, stroke, obesity, osteoporosis
4. Dairy products (fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese) Superpowers: Builds strong bones, fires up weight loss Fights: Osteoporosis, obesity, high blood pressure, cancer
5. Instant oatmeal (unsweetened, unflavored) Superpowers: Boosts energy, reduces cholesterol, maintains blood sugar levels Fights: Heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, obesity
6. Eggs Superpowers: Builds muscle, burns fat Fights: Obesity
7. Turkey and other lean meats Superpowers: Builds muscle, strengthens immune system Fights: Obesity, various diseases
8. Peanut butter Superpowers: Boosts testosterone, builds muscle, burns fat Fights: Obesity, muscle loss, wrinkles, cardiovascular disease
9. Olive oil Superpowers: Lowers cholesterol, boosts immune system Fights: Obesity, cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure
10. Whole grains Superpowers: Prevents body from storing fat Fights: Obesity, cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease
11. Extra-protein (whey) powder Superpowers: Builds muscle, burns fat Fights: Obesity
12. Blueberries, raspberries, and other berries Superpowers: Protects heart; enhances eyesight; improves balance, coordination, and short-term memory; prevents cravings Fights: Heart disease, cancer, obesity
13. Chia seeds Superpowers: high in fiber, calcium, omega-3s; prevents body from storing fat Fights: Obesity, osteoporosis
14. Dark chocolate Superpowers: helps control insulin and cortisol levels Fights: Obesity, sugar cravings
Adapted from The New Abs Diet and Women’s Health Take It Off! Keep It Off!